Principal Engineer (Mobile App & Web Development)
Hi, we’re CompanyCam.
We create simple-to-use, visual-first communication and accountability tools for contractors. Imagine a B2B SaaS (business-to-business software-as-a-service) app that doesn’t look like garbage, built by a team of capable, laid-back people.
But don’t let the chill throw you off; we’re a fast-growing, product-led startup with big plans for the future.
We’re looking for a sharp, self-motivated, problem-solving Principal Engineer to join our engineering team. As Principal Engineer, you will be tasked with technical ownership of our front-end web and mobile applications, and React Native and React codebases. This role absolutely requires strong experience with React Native and to a lesser degree experience with native mobile development and web development (preferably with React). Additionally, you will be actively contributing to the evolution of the culture and processes of a rapidly growing engineering team.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Contributing to problem-solving and direction-setting of the Engineering department.
- Setting and driving the technical vision and strategy for our mobile and web applications.
- Driving continuous improvement of the performance and quality of our mobile and web applications.
- Driving continuous improvement of architecture, codebases, and technical practices across our front-end mobile and web applications.
- Ensuring our codebases and products can support growth while being stable, performant, secure, and easy to develop in.
- Working with Staff and Senior engineers to oversee the front-end architecture and development.
- Working with Product leaders and teams to find the best ways to solve business problems with technology.
- Executing key projects to help Engineering and CompanyCam meet its goals.
- Working with Engineering Managers to improve the technical skills of Engineers.
- Listening to engineers, caring deeply about their issues and developer experience, and helping them solve problems.
Working At CompanyCam
Our engineering team is remote-first, spanning every time zone in the United States. We welcome people from all backgrounds and really don't care whether or not you have a CS degree or even a high school diploma. All that matters is that you're not an a**hole, and you're good at what you do.
Our Product and Engineering departments also do things a little differently than what you might be used to.
We use a customized version of Basecamp’s Shape Up method (fused with empowered product teams a la Marty Cagan's Inspired) to organize and execute our work. As our Client Engineering Lead, you won’t be embedded in a product team, but the highlights are still relevant: we work in cross-functional teams, and we set aside 25% of developer time for undirected work (we call these “cool-downs”).
Sounds nice, right? No sprinting, no scrumming, no death by 1,000 meetings. We protect our engineers' time, treat them like adults, and trust them to get their work done. We’re also big on not overworking people. Put in your eight hours of focused, quality work and then TURN. SLACK. OFF. No nights and weekends.
Our larger company culture is also refreshingly chill. We have fun, learn from each other, and don’t take ourselves too seriously.
We cover the important stuff too. We pay well, offer unlimited vacation, meaningful equity, health insurance, and other benefits.
This is a salaried position at CompanyCam. The starting point of our salary band for this level is $170,000, and the top of our salary band for this level is $210,000.
What We Ask Of You
- Experience working as a professional software engineer.
- Very strong experience with React Native (Absolute Requirement).
- Experience with native mobile development.
- Web experience, preferably with React.
- Experience delivering mobile and web products to a large customer base.
- Proven track record of:
- Architecting complex, scalable solutions.
- Leading multiple teams to successful outcomes.
- Leading large, complex projects to successful outcomes.
- History of collaborative partnerships with business and product leaders.
- Strong experience mentoring engineers and helping them enhance their skills.
Ready to apply?
If you share our passion for serving our customers and bringing truth and transparency to the contracting industry, we’d love to review your application!
This position can be U.S. Remote or in our Lincoln office. At least one year of remote experience is required if you plan on working remotely. We are not accepting applicants outside the U.S. at this time.